Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

I am a Medic and I hate running......sir

The Department of the Army decided to send me to Fort Hood, Texas.  1/8 Cavalry Regiment, 2nd  Brigade Combat Team, 1st Calvary Division to be exact.  My first assignment as an Army Officer, Medical Platoon Leader of 30+ EMT certified, advanced medical schooling studs.  The Army lied.  I remember one of the first days meeting my Soldiers:  one had a black eye and a huge welt on the back of his head.  I asked the trooper "what happened to you".  He replied "I got into a fight last night sir".  "With who trooper?"  My roommate and best friend standing right next to me".  Only the medics.  A handful of the Soldiers smoked cigarettes, some were single, some married and they all hated running.  Huh?  You mean to tell me that these Soldiers who WILL save lives on the battlefield dislike physical fitness?  Doesn't add up.  At least I thought it didn't.  Enter SGT John Kieth.  A southern man who would probably like nothing better than sippin' sweet tea on the porch.  Big fella, heart of gold and an old school NCO.  Old school as in been there done that and been around long enough to know how things are done.  Yes, SGT Kieth hated running.  Come to think of it, I don't think I ever saw SGT Kieth run once.  Seriously.  SGT Kieth was the Alpha Company Senior Medic.  Whatever Alpha Company needed, he ensured the troopers were squared away.
In November of 2004, his patrol came under attack.  An RPG hit his armored vehicle.  SGT Kieth exited the vehicle, observed his left leg dangling and self-administered morphine.  One of his good friends and fellow medics showed up and took charge.  SGT Kieth would later have his leg amputated.  The below picture is SGT Kieth and I in the summer of 2005.  Sorry bastard in a wheel chair and still not running!  Wait a second...let me correct myself.  In 2005, SGT Kieth completed the New York City Marathon in a hand crank bike.  You can read about it here.  If I had know he'd have to lose his leg to start running I would have let Pam know a long time ago.  Maybe we could have tied his legs together as one.  Well John, tomorrow is for you brother.  Enjoy your sweet tea with Pam, Alyssa and J.P..  I'm doing the Victory 400 44 mile marathon and I'm taking it to Fort Hood.  Mustangs.  First Team.  For the Warriors.






The Combat Medics of 1/8 CAV, Operation Iraqi Freedom II

No comments:

Post a Comment