Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

SPC Travis Babbit



Working in a medical compnay has it's pluses and minuses.  The plus is you don't leave the Forward Operating Base (FOB) unless you have to.  Every third day you have to make a patient run to the CSH (Combat Support Hospital) in the green zone, make a logistics run to Camp Taji in the North or take care of medical business at BIAP (Baghdad International Airport).  From time to time you take a doc out into sector to check on Iraqi civilians, etc.  The bad part of working in a medical company, in our case, the FOB aid station, is you see what happens to Soldiers in combat.  I was an older Officer, received my commission on a non-traditional path.  Most Lietuenants are single or just married.  Seeing combat or deploying in some fashion is why they join.  Young studs.  Our nations finest.  Being a "young" LT at the age of 30 was not the norm.  I had kids, Angelina had a career.  You get the picture.  With that said, seeing our Soldiers come through our trauma room was extremely difficult.  Everyone relates and responds to the carnage of war differently.  When we had a trauma I would literally take a deep breath and pray for the best.  Not the case some of the time.  After all, these men and women were parents, or spouses....I had more in common with them than just the U.S. Army on my chest.  Which brings me to the Warrior you see above.  Though I had left 1/8 CAV, I was still a MUSTANG.  That's how it works.  You are still attached to your old unit, especially in time of war.  In fact, I still talk to my brothers from that unit.  We even all worked for the same comany when we entered the civilian world.  But that's another story. 
While on patrol SPC Babbit's convoy came under fire.  Manning the gun in the turret, Travis engaged the enemey.  Travis took a round to his upper torso area.  SPC Babbit fell in the turret.  But you know what?  He got back up and continued engaging the enemy.  No shit.  He was brought to our trauma room on FOB Falcon.  SPC Travis Babbit succumbed to his wounds in the trauma room of B Company, 5th Brigade Combat Team.  He was a fellow MUSTANG.  I know his brothers in HHC were hit hard wtih the news.  I can still see their faces.  Our docs and nurses did everything they could to save his life that day. 
Fast forward to the following year back at Fort Hood.  If you recall I attended purple heart activites for our fallen 1st Cavalry Division Warriors.  After the ceremony, a husband and wife approached me.  Don't know how they knew who I was.  Mr. and Mrs. Babbitt from Uvalde, TX.  Yep, Travis was a Texan.  They heard that I worked at the medical company that tried to save Babbits' life......no, her little boys life.  I told her yes.  The medical professionals just happened to be a stone throw away from our exact location.  Mrs. Babbitt wanted to meet them.  Right now.  I made the phone calls and set it up.  Mr. and Mrs. Babbit stood in front of a formation of medical professionals and thanked them all for trying to save the life of her baby boy, her Soldier, the love of her life.  I pray to the lord almighty that I could be so strong during a time of tragedy.  Rest easy Travis, I know you want to get back up, you don't have to.  You've done enough.  Tomorrow is for you.  I won't fall but if I do for some unknown reason I'm getting back up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment