Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What his eyes have seen...

Sometime earlier this year India (my oldest daughter) and I were shopping in Cedar Park.  As we left a furniture store I noticed an old timer sitting on a bench.  This was not your ordinary old-timer, he was wearing a RANGER hat.  A United States Army Ranger is an elite Soldier trained in small unit tactics.  When a mission needs a-doing, you call in the Rangers.  Only two ways a United States Army Soldier can call themselves a Ranger:  Go to Ranger School or go to a Ranger Battalion.  Call it a patriotic habit but I walked over with Indy and thanked him for his service.  We chatted for quite a while.  He was actually there.  With the Rangers at Point du Hoc on D-day.  He talked about his buddies, the training, the beach head.  Incredible.  I wondered what his eyes had seen.  This man who was waiting for his daughter to finish shopping, just sitting, made history 66 years ago.  What I read in books he lived in life.  What his eyes had seen.  Fast forward to post Mike Martinez Iraq.  Upon my return the need to get "caught up" on all the ultra marathons I missed bite me hard.  About half way through my first ultra, I wept.  I cried.  I can't tell you why.  Just happened.  A month later during my second ultra marathon, I cried and wept again.  Beats me why.  The following month during a 50k I cried like no one's business.  Such a beautiful day on the trail and all that streamed were my tears.  No clue, just happens.  Private moments really.  Eventually I let Angelina in on my secret.  What could she say?  Was I crying for Odums?  For Burk?  For the lives lost?  For the things I saw?  Don't know.  Were my tears a release for what my eyes had seen?
My good friend, my Iraq brother, Mike Stevens flew in from Kentucky to run a day with me.  That day was today.  We talk about Iraq frequently.  I know what his eyes have seen.  Our conversations are soothing and comforting.  My Chesire cat smile is obvious.  Deep down I know Mike, though no physical scars, harbors deep scars that only a few understand.  Attempting to relay such emotion to someone who isn't affiliated to the military will never get it.  Or understand it.  That's ok.  No one expects you to understand.  We like to keep what we've all seen private.  Much safer.....and smarter.  As for that old-timer sitting outside the store looking out into the distance telling me and Indy stories...I think I have an idea what his eyes have seen.  Chill out old-timer, enjoy your grand kids, I am lacing up my boots for you, Mikey and all those Warriors who have scars we can't see.  Tomorrow, I'm taking Point-du-Hoc Cedar Park style.   





No comments:

Post a Comment