Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

El Scorcho 50K Recap

No matter how hard I tried to nap Saturday afternoon, my mind couldn't stop moving.  Call it pre-race jitters or better yet my kids doing their best to keep quiet.  No matter how hard they try, they managed to make even more noise.  Fumbling through the DVR I came across some weekly shows weeks in arears.  I hit play only to hear commentary on the Wounded Warrior Project.  A sign perhaps?  A settle reminder of Victory 400 and the men and women who allow me to live free and in peace. 



My race strategy

10 minutes prior to race start, 2 gels chased down with 6-8oz. water or 6 big gulps from a cup.
During race: 24-48oz of accelerade, approximately 200-400 calories per hour.
Based on sweat rate loss of 2 lbs per hour, I sweat alot.
8:40-9:00 minute mile pace

Now, the rest of the story in my best Paul Harvey:

My intent was to run the first 15 miles in 2:15.  Followed by a slow-pickup the last 15 miles.
The first five laps (15 miles) I held steady at a 9:00-10:00 per mile.  A bit slow.
I decided to pick up the pace at laps six and seven to make up for the 5-10 minutes lost from the first half.
Mistake #1: I picked it up too fast. I gained back 6+ minutes the next 6 miles.  My legs are not a healthy 30 year old anymore.  Conservatism is the key in my age.  Once I hit lap 8 (24+ miles), my stomach began to tighten.  Mistake #2: My instincts say I took in TOO many calories (sport drink) the first 7 laps for which my gut was tightening up.  Mistake #3: Not enough rest.  If lucky, I get 5-6 hours of sleep per night.  More is needed.  Victory 400 is aournd the corner. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment